Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Bucket List: An Epic Race in Africa


28 March 2012 Photo by Greg Beadle/Cape Epic/SPORTZPICS singletrack.competitor.com

www.cape-epic.com
I was on singletrack.competitor.com today and I came across this picture from the ABSA Cape Epic Mountain Bike Stage Race. I had never heard of the event until today, but this picture peaked my curiosity and forced me to google it. It turns out that it takes place in South Africa every year during the end of March and beginning of April. Supposedly, it is the largest full service mountain bike stage race in the world. The 8 days of grueling racing provides riders the opportunity to cover about 500 miles, suffer through 49,000ft of climbing, and ford treacherous river crossings like the one above. The scenery along the way is said to be magnificent. The routes are famous for scaling up some of the most beautiful mountain passes in Africa. Racers compete in teams of 2 and sleep in tent cities between stages. I am thinking about adding this one to the bucket list. Maybe when Ben heals up he'll be willing to jump on board and we could start the training? I just hope the youtube dude who was hit by the antelope on his bike wasn't doing this race when it happened?

No comments:

Post a Comment