Tuesday, February 7, 2012

My "Whiskey" Addiction

www.whiskeymilitia.com
Perhaps the hardest part of overcoming an addiction is coming clean and admitting to people that you have a problem. Well, I have a problem, and it goes by the name of Whiskey Militia. It's a little gear website that throws up a new item every twenty minutes or so, priced so low, that you almost feel like your ripping yourself off if you don't buy it. Over the last year and a half I have lived on this site. I check it multiple times every day, and have set up a desktop alert to tell me when new items are up, in hopes of finding awesome steals on cool stuff. At first I thought that checking it often wasn't a big deal. It doesn't hurt to just look, right? Wrong. The more time I spent on Whiskey, the more money disappeared from my account. I discovered that purchases like a twenty dollar pair of sunglasses here (regularly $110), and seventeen dollars on shoes there, started to add up at an alarming rate. Although I was "saving" money on everything I bought, in all reality I wasn't. I began buying things I didn't even need, justifying it in my head by convincing myself that it was too good a deal to pass up. Nearly $500 later, a poor college student like me began to feel the affects of such an addiction. I realized that I needed to exercise self control, and stop spending; a great New Year's resolution. Regrettably, we are only thirty-eight days into the new year and the UPS man has made the walk up to my front door three separate times, marking me as a failure. The more I think about it though, failure is too strong a word. I don't need to quit Whiskey altogether, maybe just limit myself to become a once a month buyer; meaning I'm set until April. Whatever the case, I think its safe to say that the people at Whiskey Militia are doing their jobs well, and have a pretty killer website that is definitely worth checking out.

1 comment:

  1. I feel for you Justin. My husband has a similar addiction. Probably not quite as serious as yours, but I am pretty tight with the UPS man now. He actually ordered something late on a Tuesday night and it was on our door by late the next afternoon.

    ReplyDelete